Friday, November 05, 2004

Brain-Fry

What have I gotten myself into?

I've been hearing a lot lately about a classic work written by Cardinal Bellarmine, called Disputationes de Controversiis Christianae Fidei - Disputations on the Controversies of the Christian Faith.

Supposedly this is the standard Catholic apologia against Protestantism, written by a very learned Jesuit (also a saint and doctor of the Church) who lived during those tumultuous times.

So I've been looking all over for this work (which, according to scattered reports, is either 3 or 4 volumes), and cannot find it in English.

I finally found it, via inter-library loan, in the original Latin.

So guess what that means?

That means I'm going to have to translate it into English, which, given the unsuccessful results of my searching, may very well be the first time this text has been translated into our language.

If anyone knows of an already-existing translation of this work, please let me know and spare me the effort. Translating is not my favorite thing to do, nor is it very easy for me (I have passable Latin, but I'm not a scholar by any stretch).

Otherwise, if you happen to be any good at Latin yourself, do let me know - I'm more than willing to farm out some of this work and share the load.

Mercy ...