Thursday, October 28, 2004

Treat Me Like a Minority, Please

Ok, someone explain this to me. Religion is one of the most touchy and better-to-be-avoided subjects in the modern world, and especially in the workplace. Politics is probably right behind.

Employers have all kinds of restrictions in this area. You can't ask a potential employee what religion he professes, and if the subject comes up at work in the lunchroom, someone could potentially get sued for discrimination or harrassment.

Same goes for ethnicity.

You use an ethnic slur or comment on an ethnic stereotype in the workplace, and baby, you're in big trouble.

So why is it that I have to sit here and listen to people curse and blaspheme?

For example, recently the guy in the cube across from me managed to use the Holy Name of the Lord Jesus Christ, invoke a curse of damnation in the Divine Name of God, and mention the excrement which emanates from a bull's nether-regions, all in the same foul sentence.

Now, I don't appreciate coarse language of any kind, but I especially cannot tolerate blasphemies against God and His Son. That is most offensive to me.

But do you think this same man would dare utter the word "nigger" if I were a "person of color," sitting across from him?

I'm pondering what to do. I should probably say something to the guy.

Meanwhile, a bit of reparation:

May the most holy, most sacred,
most adorable, most incomprehensible
and ineffable Name of God be forever
praised, blessed, loved, adored and
glorified in Heaven, on earth, and
under the earth, by all the creatures
of God, and by the Sacred Heart of
Our Lord Jesus Christ, in the Most
Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.


My only hope is that white male Traditional Catholics will soon become the minority, and then begin to receive the same kind of consideration and sensitive treatment that other minority groups get.