Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Election Results Are In!

And the winner is ... the Freemason.

Of course, since it's the Lawyers who really run this country, we'll have to wait a few months for them to confirm this victory.

The good news is that the ban on same-sex marriages appears to have passed here in Michigan.

My evening was much more exciting, however.

Took the family out for a special dinner because it's the Feast of All Souls, a first-class feast. We try to do this with every first-class feast now, and believe me, the last three days have been treating us very well. Christ the King (first-class), All Saints (first-class), and All Souls (first-class), one right after the other.

I don't think we get another first-class feast now until the Immaculate Conception (Dec. 8). But we're definitely watching the liturgical calendar now, and paying more attention to the feasts.

So we went out for dinner last night, then went over to the cemetery to say some prayers for the poor souls. That was interesting ... I have a friend who is buried at that particular location, so I went walking around trying to find his headstone. It's been more than 10 years, so I wandered for quite a while - but I had Lucy with me, and I didn't want her to get bored, so we prayed as I walked.

Her prayers are much more effective than mine, any day of the week. I'm sure the poor souls heaved a collective sigh of relief when they saw I had brought her along - "Ah, thank God! Baby prayers!"

It was interesting, I was saying, trying to teach Lucy what we were doing and why. Did she comprehend what I was telling her? She repeated a lot of it ... she's at that stage. After I explained it to her, she explained it back to me: these people are dead, they're in Purgatory, it's so sad, we need to help them, and Jesus and Mary want us to help them.

Maybe the understanding comes after the repetition. She certainly seems to have understood, after several months of repetition, her devotion to the Holy Wounds. In fact, she's at the point now where she can tell me where the five wounds are - and I love that she informs me of this as though she's lecturing me. Now, Daddy, I know you don't know this, but Jesus has owies - right here, on His hand, and right here, on His feet ...

Anyway, after that little adventure to the IHOP and the cemetery, we talked about having some fun later this week. We're going to pick up some small pumpkins, since they're bound to be on sale now, find a few pie recipies, and we're actually going to make a pumpkin pie from scratch.

Fun, eh?

Hey, it beats watching the election.