Friday, April 28, 2006

My Head Hurts

I'm exhausted, and that's all there is to it.

The last three days have been spent in preparation for a rather in-depth article I will be posting this weekend. That preparation included having to plow my way through 350+ pages of a book written by Benedict XVI when he was then Father Ratzinger. I can't exactly describe how or why, but that kind of writing (that is, Modern theology) hurts my head.

I was reading 80-100 pages of this per night for the last few nights. When I finished it, and reached for an older manuscript on Catholic Theology to supplement my research, I literally felt my mind clear up as I read the older text.

It was a strange phenomenon.

On the other hand, by the end of the book I felt like I was finally starting to "click" with Ratzinger, and become more familiar with his thought process. It actually made me want to move on to one of his other texts, as long as I'm in the "mode" of reading Modern theology - perhaps I'll take up his book on the liturgy next.

At any rate - the long nights of reading and writing are finally at an end (for now), and I can now return to whatever it was I wanted to pursue. Keep an eye on the web site for the new article on Ratzinger.