Friday, August 27, 2004

New Articles?

If you visit my site very often, you are aware of the fact that I haven't uploaded any major articles in quite a while.

I'm still thinking thinking some things through in terms of what I want to be writing about. I'd like to be writing about things that are helpful to Catholics, and will be helpful to Catholics long after Russia gets consecrated and Christ becomes King of nations.

Mostly I'm working on Scriptural meditations and studies, which is probably what I love to do the most. My newest e-book, 100 Verses Every Catholic Should Know, is complete, save for the introduction and a few patristic quotes that I wanted to add.

I've also got a longer meditation on St. John 6 that I just need to polish up and post - I think regular readers of mine will enjoy this reflection, especially those who enjoyed my meditation on the Wedding at Cana.

Finally, I'm working on a rebuttal - by request, no less (I wasn't aware that apologists accepted requests) - of something Michael Scheifler wrote about Gen. 3:15 and the "he shall crush"/"she shall crush" question. That should be interesting.

Problem is, when I finally get enough free time to actually work on some of these things (and I usually need a good 2-3 hour block of time to really give myself to the task), I'm tired and want to relax - read, listen to music, etc. I don't want to write, because that kind of writing is exhausting.

Maybe I need to start taking donations so I don't have to work full time - can start giving myself to apologetics.

Except ... I don't believe in that, frankly. We have a glut of "career" apologists today, and I just don't see that as having any precedent in Church History. Those who make their living off the Catholic Faith are - as St. Paul says - those who are preachers of the faith. Priests, bishops, cardinals, etc. I can't imagine that, while St. Paul and the rest were going around being professional bishops and priests, there would have been laymen running around from Antioch to Ephesus to Byzantium to Rome giving "talks" about the Faith. I don't think laymen were meant to live off the Gospel; I think we were meant to work. Heck, even St. Paul occupied himself with tent-making when he wasn't preaching and administering the sacraments.

There you go, then. I don't want to do this full-time. I just need a little more time to do this well.

Anyway - keep your eye on the site in the days to come. There will be more content coming, but in the meanwhile, this blog is a nice alternative outlet for voicing my less-than-polished thoughts.

More to come. Always more to come.