Friday, April 29, 2005

I Contracept Because I'm Selfish

Strange thing. A co-worker was asking me how many kids I had. I told him: two, and one on the way in September. Then the conversation went a bit like this:

"Wow, three kids. How old are you?"

"Twenty-six, same as you."

"I just wouldn't even know what to do with kids."

"What's to know? You play with them!"

"I guess I'm just too selfish; I'm not ready to give up my free time and extra money."

"You wouldn't regret it, trust me."

"Well, you're a better man than me; I'm too selfish."

At that point I jokingly/not-jokingly chided him, "Then perhaps you better work on that, eh?"

Now, this guy isn't a professing Christian. But he at least sees the picture clearly: he's not having kids (despite being married for several years) because he's too selfish with his time and money. He's willing to admit it!

I just wish more pseudo-Catholics and Protestants would have the guts to admit this; then maybe more of them would stop contracepting, because presumably, they (unlike my co-worker) would at least realize the impossibility of claiming to be a Christian (or a "good person" at all), while simultaneously cultivating/nourishing selfish behaviors.